Tuesday, February 17, 2009

News from the Rockies (Part 1)

February Newsletter

Greetings from the Rocky Mountains! Yes, it’s true…I am back in the heart of the Rockies! Since the last time I wrote, I believe it was August while I was in Mississippi, awaiting my immigration papers that allow me to work in Canada. Life has been a whirlwind for awhile, but I am settling in my new home nicely. I did not realize how much the Calgary area had become home until I left…now, God has me back here for this time of my life!


Long story short, I accepted a position with our Canadian National Baptist Convention (formerly Canadian Convention of Southern Baptists) as missions ministry leader and administrative assistant for the SEND team. The SEND team covers missions, partnerships and volunteers, and collegiate ministry. I got my start in missions while in college, so I feel like I have come full circle. Only God could have orchestrated this part of my life. Though I’m not in children’s ministry full-time, this is a wonderful job for me and I’m making it into my ministry. I get to work with some incredible men and women and get to serve our churches across Canada. The magnitude of the position hits me at times. I am humbled that God would choose me in helping to educate our people about missions, be the contact for our international missionaries, and watch people get on board with what God is doing.
While in Mississippi, I felt like my whole world had been turned upside down. It was such a strange time for me, yet I knew God was in control and I did my best to trust Him. He knew that I was not physically, mentally, and emotionally ready to learn the ropes of a new job. I think it took the immigration issues for God to get me to rest! The paperwork came through quicker than expected and at the end of September, I flew back to Calgary and began my job. I enjoyed my time with family and basically not doing too much. I ended up being able to take a beach trip with my sister and her family and was even able to be at my niece Rosalyn’s 5th birthday party!


I can’t believe my little man Knox will be a year old on the 21st! Rosalyn, Katie, and Knox are such joys and I miss them!


I am living back in Calgary, but am on the outskirts of the city, about 20 minutes from Cochrane, where our office is. I rent the basement suite in the home of a couple I work with and the commute is not that bad, unless it’s icy and snowy! Since the sun is now up when I drive to work, I get to see the Rockies each morning and throughout my day, as our offices have a perfect view! The convention office is on the same property as the seminary, so I feel like I’m home again! It’s great to be back with old friends and to be making new ones.
I have found a new church home, The Pathway Church, and have already been helping out with the children’s Sunday School. I’m looking forward to even more opportunities to serve there. I wasn’t sure what type of church I was looking for, as I have experienced different types while being in Canada. This church reminds me of my former church here, so it’s a good feeling. Some of you may be wondering about Mountain View. It has recently merged with another church. Thanks to many of you who gave of your time, resources, and prayers to MVCF over the years!
I do miss Prince Edward Island and my friends there. I did not realize what wonderful friends I really had until I started missing them! I’m so blessed that God allowed me to have the opportunity to serve in Atlantic Canada. It helped prepare me for the denominational work that I am now in and I have more of a taste of our work across the country.
I miss the smell of the ocean and walks along the Charlottetown boardwalk, but I now have the Rocky Mountains, again!

No comments: