Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Quite the cultural experience

Getting a lobster lesson from former fisherman, Pastor Wallace



What an experience I had on Saturday! The church held its annual Lobster Dinner. I've heard about this yearly event since before I arrived and the excitement's been in the air for months. I was looking forward to seeing what it was all about and eating lobster. Though it was a tiring day for all, and two days for some, it was a fun experience for me and we sold over 400 tickets! The church building still has the lobster smell in it, though it's not as stinky as it was! My afternoon included a lobster anatomy lesson, putting two lobsters in for the kill (that sounds terrible, but that's what happens~what a horrible way to die!), cleaning out the hash~the meat of the knuckles, & helping assemble take-out plates. Of course, I did eat some out-of-the-shell lobster and it was alright. I was so tired from being on my feet, I don't think I enjoyed it like I could have! FYI: the lobsters are done after they stop squealing! Just kidding: they are ready when they are red, as they are originally a brownish color. Not counting meeting folks from all over the world & taking in the Calgary Stampede, I don't think I've experienced this much culture in Canada!

2 comments:

Kevin, Kara, Kolton, & Kannon said...

the pics of you crack me up....LOVE the hair net!!!

what an experience!!!

Roxanne said...

My name is Roxanne Harwell and Kara is actually my boss! I wanted to comment on how jealous my mom would be to know you have the opportunity to live on PEI. My parents have been numerous times-I have been once. It is such a gorgeous place to be. My mom is a total Anne of Green Gables fan. Our family home is called Grey Gables! Would love to chat with you and let you know that you are truly an angel to be doing the Lord's work in a place my mom would call Heaven on Earth.