Sunday, October 25, 2009

Remembering Mom Karen

 


To think that it was a year ago today that we celebrated the life of a precious soul on this earth, Mrs. Karen Harris. During the summer of 1998, while I was serving at Royal Heights Baptist Church near Vancouver, I became very close to the Harris family. They took me in as one of their own. It wasn't very long until Mrs. Karen became Mom Karen to me. She would usually sign cards and emails to me 'from your North Delta Mom' (they live in Delta, a suburb of Vancouver) and I became 'your Mississippi daugther'.

Mom Karen had the gift of making anyone feel special. She took such good care of me each time I visited the family.

In August of last year, she was diagnosed with cancer in her sinus cavity. In less than 2 months, on October 18, she was gone. I couldn't believe it and I think there are still days that it's surreal for me. I've made 3 trips to the Harris home since Mom Karen was called Home and it sure was wierd not having her at the house. I am so thankful to have known her and that a part of her will always be with me in so many different ways, including her daughter, Becky, being one of my best friends. Mom Karen loved Anne of Green Gables and the Maritimes. I'm so glad that I got to experience what she loved so much.

The entire Harris family are so very special and my life has been enriched by knowing each of them.

In the collage are just a few pictures of my favorites with her. The top left one was the last time I saw her. It just so happened that God allowed them to visit PEI the summer of 07. I'm so thankful for that lunch and visit we got to have. The middle one was from her son's Matt (Amber)'s wedding in April.

No comments: