Monday, September 28, 2009

It's been quite the month plus...

I wouldn't have thought I would have attended a second Celebration of Life Service in a month. This one was for the husband of a friend. Don passed away at the age of 62 from a massive heart attack over a week ago. It was so sudden, but he knew the Lord. His wife, Laurel, worked at the seminary while I was there and she was my former church's treasurer for a time. What a sweet lady! I didn't really know her husband, though I remembered him when seeing his picture. When I left the service on Saturday, I felt like I knew him a bit better. It was a beautiful testimony to Don's life and service to the Lord and love for his family and many passions he had in life. Please keep the Miller family in your prayers (daughter Jennifer, son Chris and his young family).

My dear friend, John, got the results from his brain tumor on Thursday. Not the best news. It's in Stage 3 and is incurable (but we know God could work miracles). He will start 6 weeks of daily chemo and radiation in mid-October, with a 2 week break. Doctors said that 50% of patients have 3-5 years with some living to 10 years. We are praying for at least 10good years! John will turn 50 in December and says he will celebrate his 60th! John is self-employed and owns a commercial sheetmetal and plumbing business. He will eventually sell the business and will be semi-retired. John and his wife Debbie plan to travel! The family already had a trip planned to Mexico in a couple of weeks. The doctors said it was fine for him to go. Please keep John and the family in your prayers as they embark on this journey with cancer. Pray for John's continued healing from the surgery. Debbie is clinging to a verse that God showed her just days before John's surgery: Psalm 27:14 "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." That's one we should all look to!
For those who don't know John, here's a face to put with the name:



I'm not sure what to really think of everything that's been happening. I'm just thankful that I have God to look to in these difficult times. I am realizing more and more how fragile life is and that each day is a precious gift from God. As my friend Jesse Morales said in July 2008, "If today was your last day on earth, how are you impacting this world for the Kingdom?" Definitely something I try to remember each day and do something!

We're not promised tomorrow, but we do know the One who holds tomorrow and we can hang on to His promises!! Sometimes, that's all we can do...

No comments: