Monday, September 5, 2011

Reflecting on Ten Years

(Be prepared for a lengthy reflection...)

Has it really been over ten years since I moved to Canada to study at seminary? Has it really been almost ten years when I began a focus on children's ministry as a seminary intern and then carried on full-time after I graduated? Have I really been friends with so many incredible people (some for 10 years) here who have become like family to me? Has it really been almost three years since I began my "job" with the CNBC? Have I really had six addresses in ten years?! (I just realized that today...and that I'll be adding another address to that list as I look for a place in Cochrane.) Where have the years gone?

Since mid-August, I've been reflecting on all this, as that was the time of year I moved to the seminary hill. Never would I have thought I would plant my life here, especially since I thought that after graduation, I would move back to the US and be a children's minister in a church. In the spring of 2001, I was close to the end of my second year of teaching and I felt the Holy Spirit telling me that I wouldn't be teaching in the fall. I soon realized God was saying "fully surrender your life to me". I surrenedered to full-time ministry and really, the rest is history! I found my journal from spring 2001, when I knew God was calling me to study at Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary. I made a preview visit and here's an entry: "Lord, I am in awe at things You've shown me on this trip and people You've brought into my life in just over 24 hours. I know you want me here - in August! There's no doubt and I pray You'll prepare me and others...I am in awe at what You're doing right now and that I've finally, I guess, said 'yes', I'm to be here...I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is it, but won't believe it until I'm here!" In August of that year: "Lord, I am just in awe of how providing You are and unworthy I am!" (I saw God meeting financial needs in big ways.) I just felt led to share those things here. I am sure that if I sat down and read my journals, there's ton more entries like that of how I was in awe of God and how He has provided.

When I reflect over my time in Canada, it's probably those things I think of the most ~ how the Father never ceases to amaze me and how He has been so Faithful and such a Provider for me. Words almost can't express...
I think of my time in seminary and the incredible friends I had while there, including faculty and staff. There are a number of those people I get to see on a regular basis since I work at the Convention office, which is on the same property of the seminary. Many of my seminary classmates are spread across Canada and we get to connect in various ways. God blessed me with the opportunity to serve as children's minister at Mountain View Christian Fellowship in Calgary and Community Baptist Church in PEI. The people who made up those congregations while I was there were wonderful and will always hold a special place in my heart. You allowed me to lead your children's ministry and entrusted your children to me. I am forever grateful. If someone would have told me that I would be serving with the Canadian National Baptist Convention as the national missions ministry leader, I would have thought they were crazy. Only God could have orchestrated that. I'm thankful that my boss, Salt Jones, listened to the Father when He put my name on Salt's heart about the missions ministry leader position. It is an honor and privilege to "work" where I do. I get to interact with missionaries on a daily basis (some weeks), help churches be on mission and know what mission resources are out there, and watch others join God in His activity in Canada and around the world!
It's also a joy to be a part of The Pathway Church in Calgary. We are a growing church where I am involved in the children's ministry (surprise, surprise) and I continue to seek God in His leading for what my exact role is to be. It's cool to see God at work in our church and its people and be a part of this family.

I wanted to include pictures of the past 10 years, but how does one do that? I don't think I could ever chose the right ones. I decided that I will keep it simple and just use this one:
I also know I must use it because of what the Canada flag means to me. The US flag means something to me because it's the flag of my home country. The Canadian flag means something to me because it's the flag of the country that has become home to me and the place that God has called me to. It means even more to me since I recently became a Canadian Permanent Resident! I think it's pretty cool that the residency process came to completion just after I was in Canada for 10 years. Wow!

I don't take it lightly that God has placed me here. I know I haven't always been about what He wants me to be about because I let life get in the way. It's not always easy being here, away from my family where snow can be on the ground for nine straight months and temps way below freezing! But God is good through it all, has been so Faithful to me and Provided for me in ways that are too long to list. I don't know why He chose me to be in Canada, nor do I fully need to know. I just know that I would not have experienced Him (I don't think) like I would if I was not here. I've learned much and continue to learn much about myself and the Lord. I've been able to experience different cultures and different churches. And for almost 3 years, I've been able to help others be on mission! That warms my heart...
While doing summer missions in 1996, I came with a group from Montana to Cochrane to volunteer at the seminary and help with VBS at Bow Valley Baptist Church having no idea God would have me back five years later. I spent the summer of 1998 near Vancouver, BC, at Royal Heights Baptist Church. It was then that I "fell in love with Canadians" and wondered if God might have me back in Canada. One never knows what God will do as a result of a mission trip!

"Thank You, Father, for being Faithful and a Friend...You have been with me each step of the way. I could never thank you enough. May I be found faithful. I love you, Lord."

Psalm 46:10
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: