Monday, April 18, 2011

God is in Control

Knowing God is in control became even more real to me on Saturday night.

I was driving home at dark after a great welcome back party at the Eagleson's (stay tuned for that post). It had been light snowing all day with just above freezing temps and had gotten worse as the night went on. Not even ten minutes from home, on Crowchild Trail, I noticed some cars stopped on the left side of the road, next to the concrete barriers by the transit tracks. I knew I better slow down as I figured it was a fender-bender. Well, I stepped on the brakes and could not stop as I had hit black ice! I then started steering, which I now know why I've been told you can't brake and steer at the same time! It all happened so fast and the next thing I know, I'm headed towards the concrete barrier...it sounded horrible when I hit it! My car finally stopped with the back of the car "facing" the concrete barrier. I first thought that maybe it had quit running, but then realized it and me were okay. I knew I better get my car out of the way, so I pulled over, facing the opposite direction of traffic, turned the hazards on and thanked God I was okay. I dreaded getting out to see the damage. I just knew my bumper would be hanging off of the car I've just had over a year. When getting out, I almost slipped as it was icy. After inspecting the car, I couldn't believe that the damage really wasn't that bad and only on the driver's side bumper...


AND that I did not collide with another vehicle nor anyone hit me! That in itself is a sheer miracle on one of the busiest roads in Calgary! Cars were driving by me pretty slow at this point and one couple did check to see if I was alright. (God bless them!!) I drove pretty slow on my way home and was so thankful to pull into the garage safe and sound. I still shiver a bit when I think of how it sounded when I hit that barrier and to think of what could have happened.

What else became even more real to me? Jeremiah 29:10-11 "...I'll show up and take care of you as I have promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing, I have it all planned out--plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." (the Message) That verse and many others have been what I have clinged to these past 4 months...God isn't finished with me in Calgary, with the CNBC, in Canada, nor with my life!

When I got home, it was too late Central time to call my parents, so I called my brother Doug. His family and I attend the same church. Doug is like the big brother I never had and he's claimed me as the sister he's always wanted :) He prayed with me and I so needed that. I'm so thankful for his family. It was him that said, "Jesus Take the Wheel"...so I only think it appropriate to include that song/video here.

1 comment:

charlenejane said...

Ellen! So glad to hear that you're okay! Black ice can be pretty scary.