Monday, August 10, 2009

Remembering my Precious Grandmother

Saturday, August 8, would have been my grandmother's 82nd birthday. "Murie" (mu-e) was the one who passed away on February 28. Since this was the first birthday that she was not on this earth with us, I thought of her so much. Mom and I chatted about that tonight. My sister was at my parents' place last week and went through a lot of my grandmother's things. They've set aside a pile for me, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else is there. I have a few "treasures" of my own that I already found!

Murie was one of the sweetest, Godliest ladies I knew. She, my sister, and I had a very special relationship because we were her only grandchildren. I have such fond memories of times together. It's still strange to think that I have no more grandparents on this side of Heaven. I take comfort in knowing that we will be reunited one day!

I remember when Murie started really getting sicker and wasn't able to do the things she used to and especially when she couldn't verbally communicate. That was probably the hardest of her illness. I recall one Christmas where she was all smiles, but you knew she wanted to say something and couldn't get it out. She, my sister, and Mom just stood there, hugging and crying, along with Murie. I was sitting, crying as well. Mom told Murie what a good mother Christy was and that it reminded Mom of her! It is in these times when reality sets in and you feel so helpless. At that time, Murie was able to still walk and do things for herself.
I remember times on the back porch swing with Murie, just sitting there. We always had great talks, but in the last few years, the visits without talks became even more special. I would often say my goodbyes and knew Murie wanted to say something...
It was precious to watch Murie with her great-grandaughters! She loved them so and would smile so big whenever she would see them. Did she even know who they were by the end of life? We don't know, but thankfully she got to meet her great-grandson!

Murie was one who never learned to drive! It was fun to take her places when I got my license! She grew up in the hills of East Tennessee, near Nashville, and that's where she and Grandaddy met. Mom told me that they married when Murie was still in high school (because they just couldn't wait), but no one knew they were married! They waited a bit to tell the family. What a hoot! Grandaddy, Murie, and Mom moved to the Mississippi Delta when Mom was 3, as Grandaddy could support a family better there. Tchula was where I have such fond memories as a young girl. Their house was right by a big lake, so we had fun feeding the turtles. Loved our times on the swingset, lemonade and cookies, and helping in the garden. It was Murie who introduced me to eggplant and oh, how she made some of the best pickles! She was a wonderful cook!
We had even more special times as she moved to Mt. Olive after Grandaddy died. She was able to rent a house right on Main Street, so she was in walking distance of church, stores, and our school. We would often walk to her house after school. She took care of me during and after a hospital stay in junior high as we had a similar condition. She came to our band performances and anything special at our church (she went to First Baptist in town and we were at Rock Hill, about 10 minutes out of town). She was always on the go! Murie made friends easily, loved gardening, birds, flower arranging, sewing, cooking, dancing, and teaching kids' Sunday School! We enjoyed writing letters to each other when the miles separated us. I treasure those letters even more now.

Her funeral was a celebration of her life, the Gospel was presented, and it would have been what she wanted. Her and Gene's pastor did a wonderful job of saying just what we needed to hear. Our family is so thankful for the people of Pearl Valley Church in Wesson. After ahe and Gene married in 94, they took her in and loved on her. During the service, Mom shared some things. It was beautiful. She shared from her heart, gave a bit of history of Murie because most there didn't know her prior to 94, and made it through! Dad was able to play Amazing Grace on his trombone. Murie loved to hear both of them play. Mom was able to play the piano for a couple of congregational songs. It was beautiful and I bet Murie was smiling that day! The pastor gave time for folks to share words of encouragement/stories about "Ms. Geneva". What a special time that was! We heard things from folks that we would have never known about Murie! The things that stand out the most are the stories that individuals had of things Murie did when she was getting sicker. The pastor's wife made a visit, Murie got out the cups for coffee because that is what Murie did when folks came over. She was great at hosting. Gene's grandson-in-law shared about how he was there taking a nap on the couch...Murie went and put a blanket over him. He didn't have the privilege of knowing Murie before she got sick. He said that if she did that nice of a gesture then, he can only imagine what she must have been like before!

My brother-in-law did a wonderful job with the graveside service in Tennessee. It had been such a long week, really weeks maybe years, for us, and we were glad to be with extended family. I don't remember everything that Nathan said, but I know his words comforted me and I kept thinking how blessed we are to have him in our lives! And how Murie's sisters, nieces, nephews, extended family, and some old friends were hearing the Gospel. We had great time of fellowship over lunch and staying in TN an extra day. Because they weren't around Murie when she was sick nor at the funeral, Mom shared with them some of the stories folks shared with us.

God has been so good to my family. I am blessed beyond measure. My life has been forever touched and changed as a result of my grandmother...both my grandmothers. I feel I am a better person because of both of them!

There is so much more I could write, as my heart is overflowing with memories, love, and gratitude. I just pray that I can leave even half the legacy that Murie did!

1 comment:

Kevin, Kara, Kolton, & Kannon said...

What a great tribute to your grandmother. I feel like I got a great glimpse into her life here on earth by reading this!

Know that you are already building a legacy like your grandmother had. Your care and compassion for other people is definitely something that people all over the world can testify to!

Miss you and love you girl!